SERVES 3 : Glutenfree // RefinedSugarFree // Paleo
This is seriously my favourite dish in the WORLD! I came up with it after wanting an alternative to rice and also in an attempt to increase my vegetable intake. The Caulibroc rice and chicken is full of flavour and the almond and cheesy omelette compliments the dish well!
Half head cauliflower
1 head broccoli
Sweet Potato (chopped into cubes)
½ red onion
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
1.5 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
olive oil or coconut oil
salt and pepper to taste
3 eggs (optional)
Parmesan or cashew cheese (for those that are dairy free)
For poached coconut chicken:
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1.5 cans coconut cream
- 1 cup of chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chilli (fresh or ground)
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- Red onion
- salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Chop head of broccoli and sweet potato into fine pieces (about the size of the top of your pinky)
3.Chop head off cauliflower and blend in food processor on high for one minute (if you don’t have a food processor you can follow same chopping method as broccoli or grate the head)
4. Chop up onion, garlic, ginger and cashews.
5. Place cauliflower, broccoli, sweet potato and cashews in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Add cumin, paprika, chilli, salt and pepper and mix well.
6. Line a rectangular baking tray and spread contents of bowl evenly over tray. Drizzle a bit more olive oil over vegetables and place in oven until crispy (usually 20 minutes but you will need to check and stir regularly to ensure nothing is burnt!)
7. Fry onion, garlic and ginger in pan with salt and pepper until onion is translucent.
8. Once vegetables are crispy, remove from oven and add to pan of onions and stir through. Take off heat and leave to sit while you poach chicken.
9. To poach chicken, place onion, garlic, ginger, cumin, paprika and ginger in a deep pot with olive oil. Cook until onion is translucent.
10. Add 1.5 cans coconut milk and 1 cup of chicken or vegetable stock.
11. Cook on medium heat and bring to a soft boil
12. Once coconut cream begins to boil, add chicken thigh fillets to pot (Ensure chicken thighs are submerged in liquid; you may need to add water)
13. Cook for 10 minutes with the lid on and after that time turn chicken over.
14. Chop up onion, garlic, ginger and cashews.Cook for a further 15-20 minutes until chicken is fully cooked and sauce has started to thicken.
15. Remove pot from heat and allow chicken to rest in coconut while you make the omelette for the pilaf!
16. Whisk three eggs and place in an oiled frying pan
17. While omelette is forming sprinkle cashew cheese or parmesan on top of the egg in the pan and allow to melt.
18. Once well formed, flip omelette and cook for 3-4 minutes.
19. Take off heat, roughly chop into pieces and add to your pilaf!
20. Heat caulibroc rice for 2-3 minutes on medium heat and serve with poached chicken, coriander, lime and a drizzle of coconut milk! YUM!