Gluten Free // Refined Sugar Free
So we’ve adapted this recipe from our favs – IQS and Porch and Parlour – and put a little Unrefined spin on it. We both love WASABI and DATES so thought we’d incorporate both ingredients into what has now become one of our favourite go-to recipes (I know we say it every time, but seriously)! The dish is very simple, requires minimal effort, is extremely affordable and looks and tastes AMAZING. It’s currently trending in our kitchen for breakfast, lunch AND dinner (literally).
- 500 g peas
- 2 tsp wasabi (can remove if you aren’t a wasabi fan!)
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 cup gluten-free cornflour or buckwheat flour
- 2 eggs
- Seasoning of your choice (we use a combination of Sofia mixed spice from Mingle Seasoning (contains Garlic, Onions, Kashmiri Chilli Pepper, Cumin Powder, Sweet Paprika, Pink Himalayan Sea Salt, Black Pepper, Oregano, Parsley) (available here)
For the garnish & relish:
- 1 handful mint, flat-leaf parsley and coriander.
- 50 g danish feta
- 1 avocado
- 4 poached or soft boiled eggs
- 5 pitted medjool dates (soak in boiling water for five minutes before cooking)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 red onion finely diced
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp water
Blanch peas for 10 seconds in boiling water and allow to cool
Place peas, diced onion, cornflour or buckwheat flour, 2 eggs, seasoning and wasabi into a food processor or thermomix. Blend the food until half the peas are minced.
While pea pancakes are cooking, heat a small saucepan and add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
Place pitted dates in saucepan and toss until soft.
Add red onion and continue to stir until translucent (add more coconut oil if need be)
Add red wine vinegar and water to the mixture and continue to stir until the date and onions boil down and form a relish-like consistency
Take off heat and allow to cool
Prepare cooked wasabi pea pancakes on a plate and garnish with fresh herb and feta salad, avocado, poached or soft boiled egg and date and onion relish.